Please click below to view our Firm History video.
Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Firm History
Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick was founded in 1925 by Harold W. Fraser (1872-1945), a native of Canada, who came to Toledo, Ohio in 1891 and entered the law office of E.W. Tollerton. Mr. Fraser was admitted to Ohio practice in 1894, although he did not become a United States citizen until 1897.
In 1896 Marshall and Fraser (the order of names chosen by the flip of a coin) was formed and became the first tenant in the Spitzer Building, located in downtown Toledo, occupying one large room on the fifth floor.
Marshall and Fraser was dissolved on January 31, 1925, and Mr. Fraser formed Fraser, Hiett & Wall consisting of three partners and four associates from the old firm: Harold W. Fraser, Stanley J. Hiett, Hampton G. Wall, Alonzo C. Ruihley, George R. Effler, John W. Winn, Jr. and Roscoe W. Shumaker. The firm practiced at 710 Home Bank Building.
In 1952 the current firm name was adopted. In 1960, Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick became the second tenant in the newly-constructed Libbey-Owens Ford Building at Madison and Michigan Avenues.
In 1981 the firm moved to a renovated warehouse, formerly known as the American Plumbers Supply Company Building. A new entrance was constructed and a new address assigned: 1000 Jackson.
In 1985 the ABA Journal awarded Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick First Prize for Civic Commitment for the extensive renovation and landscaping of the firm’s new quarters in Toledo. The prize was one of several awarded as part of the Journal’s first Law Office Design competition.
The building sits on three acres and is just northwest of the Lucas County Courthouse. The completed project cost $3.8 million and represents Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick’s commitment to downtown Toledo. A new two-story 15,000 square-foot addition in 1998 raised office space to 83,000 square feet.
Firm Name Changes
1925: Fraser, Hiett & Wall
1925: Fraser, Hiett, Wall & Effler
1935: Fraser, Effler, Shumaker & Winn
1943: Fraser, Shumaker, Kendrick & Winn
1948: Shumaker, Loop, Kendrick & Winn
1952: Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick
1996: Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
2007: Shumaker (Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP d.b.a. Shumaker)
Office Locations - Year Established
1925: Toledo, Ohio
1985: Tampa, Florida
1988: Charlotte, North Carolina
1998: Columbus, Ohio
2009: Sarasota, Florida