Shumaker's real estate practice has the size and depth to represent commercial property owners and developers, large landlords and tenants, corporations and commercial lenders throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico. We are a full service real estate law firm, able to handle the documentation of multi-state projects as well as large mixed use developments.
We are experienced in the full spectrum of real estate capabilities, so we do not treat transactions as a sideline to corporate or tax work. Owners, developers, users, property managers, lenders, contractors and architects benefit from the strong, collaborative working relationships among Shumaker offices, which enable us to bring in the experience needed to structure and negotiate the optimal business deal, then quickly document and close the transaction.
What Makes Us Different
Shumaker’s real estate practice is unusual in that we combine comprehensive, nationwide transactional assistance with an emphasis on highly sophisticated and technical transactions. As general real estate counsel, our transactional guidance is wide ranging for developers, institutional and private lenders, borrowers, sellers, and purchasers in connection with the acquisition, financing, development and disposition of commercial properties. Our lawyers are experienced in all aspects of real estate financing, encompassing asset-based, cash flow, mezzanine and construction financing and permanent loans. And our deal-making representation is backed by preparation and negotiation of all contracts and agreements.
Beyond this broad skill set, we are able to handle complex issues in such areas as real estate investment trust (REIT) transactions and public private partnerships. For REIT clients, such as one of the country’s largest publicly traded REITs, our team of over 20 professionals acts as lead counsel in investment transactions that involve mergers, acquisitions, sale-lease backs, and public and private capital raisings. See REIT Industry description.
For important community projects like convention centers, sports facilities and performing arts theaters, we help to forge durable Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs) that involve multiple financing entities. Our guidance on everything from establishing PPP legal authority to resolving difficult land use or tax concerns is typical of the deep legal skills that we bring to all our real estate work.
- Real estate owners, developers, landlords, tenants, property managers, lenders, contractors, and architects.
- Fortune 500 companies needing property acquisitions and dispositions.
- Government and private sector participants in Public Private Partnerships.
- One of the country’s leading REITs focused on senior living and healthcare facilities.
- Commercial banks and mortgage lenders.
Why You Benefit
In representing entrepreneurial players on all sides of real estate transactions, Shumaker lawyers recognize that deals must be done on our client’s timetable. Major regional and national developers, large shopping centers and restaurant chains, publicly traded real estate investment trusts and Fortune 500 companies all rely on the creativity and efficiency that our firm brings to the table. Our lawyers give clients all the help they need to get deals done, from land acquisition and use approval, through the financing and construction phase, to the sale, purchase or leasing of the project. It’s a comprehensive approach that gives clients the benefit of our full real estate capabilities, across all Shumaker offices.
- Property development, purchases and sales
- Structuring real estate partnerships and investments
- Commercial leasing
- Real estate finance
- Construction law and dispute resolution
- Zoning and land use
- Loan workouts and foreclosures
- Title insurance and closing
- Commercial Landlord Tenant Disputes
What you can expect from Shumaker
In every real estate matter we seek to understand and resolve not only the critical legal and tax issues, but also the strategic business concerns of our clients and the other parties involved. To do that we offer broad capability to handle important transactional issues outside of real estate law - such as tax, environmental, financing and insurance concerns - without creating undue expense or complexity.
Property owners, developers and users, as well as other participants in commercial real estate transactions, can expect Shumaker to assist on:
- Property acquisitions and dispositions, including as tax-free exchanges
- Financings, whether traditional mortgage or lease arrangements, or more complex deal structures like partnership syndications and equity participation arrangements
- Owner/contractor and owner/architect agreements, from the conventional to unique design/build arrangements
- Counsel on leasing transactions or disputes, whether from the perspective of the owner, property manager or tenant
- Real estate-related dispute resolution, like loan workouts and foreclosures, construction litigation and brokerage disputes
- A broad range of land use issues - zoning, annexation, eminent domain and property taxes