TOLEDO, OH – Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP is pleased to announce that eight of the firm’s attorneys have been named partners in the firm: Douglas A. Cherry, Steven S. Grieco, Michele Leo Hintson, Brian R. Lambert, Mark E. Mercer, Stacy H. Stevenson, Karen H. Stiles, and Juan C. Villaveces.
- Mr. Cherry is a resident in the firm’s Sarasota, Florida office and is Board Certified in intellectual property law. Mr. Cherry’s practice focuses on intellectual property (patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret and unfair competition) consulting, acquisition, licensing and litigation. He also focuses on computer and technology law, business law and entertainment law, including consulting clients and attorneys in electronic discovery issues, domain name disputes, E-commerce agreements, technology implementation transactions and software performance disputes, consulting and employment agreements, and technology licensing. Mr. Cherry received his J.D. from the University of Florida College of Law, and his B.S. from the University of Florida.
- Mr. Grieco is a member of the corporate practice area in the Tampa, Florida office. His principal areas of practice include corporate finance and banking, mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity capital markets and securities, corporate governance and general corporate matters. Prior to joining Shumaker, Mr. Grieco practiced for 10 years with Clifford Chance LLP in New York City and London and Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP in London focusing on representing underwriters and issuers in international debt and equity offerings; global commercial banks in leveraged finance transactions; and European domiciled companies in ongoing reporting obligations under U.S. securities laws and various U.S. corporate governance issues. Also while in New York City and London, Mr. Grieco frequently acted as deal counsel in complex structured finance transactions and represented various companies and financial institutions in mergers and acquisitions transactions (including tender offers), syndicated financing facilities and general corporate transactions. Mr. Grieco received his J.D., summa cum laude, and his M.B.A., with distinction, from State University of New York at Buffalo, and his B.S. from Cornell University.
- Ms. Hintson is a member of the litigation practice group in the Tampa, Florida office. Ms. Hintson has experience representing insurance companies in large loss subrogation matters, including construction defect, products liability and contractual liability matters. She also has experience defending premises liability claims, and defending civil rights claims. Further, Ms. Hintson handles a variety of commercial litigation matters, including, but not limited to, breach of contract actions, employment related claims and collection matters. Ms. Hintson received her J.D., cum laude, from Stetson University College of Law, and her B.A. from the University of Central Florida.
- Mr. Lambert is Board Certified in construction law and is located in the Tampa, Florida office. Mr. Lambert devotes a substantial amount of his practice to all facets of construction. He has handled a wide variety of complex construction disputes involving project delays, schedule acceleration, construction defects and differing site conditions, as well as payment disputes concerning lien and bond claims. Mr. Lambert received his J.D., cum laude, from Stetson University College of Law, and his B.A. in Mass Communications from the University of South Florida.
- Mr. Mercer is a member of the environmental practice group in the Toledo, Ohio office. His principal area of practice is environmental law and civil litigation. Mr. Mercer is Co-Chair of Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick’s “Leadership Shumaker Toledo” program, which involves the firm’s attorneys and staff members in various civic and fund-raising events that benefit not-for-profit charitable and arts organizations in the Toledo area. Mr. Mercer received both his J.D. and B.A. from the University of Toledo.
- Ms. Stevenson is a member of the medical malpractice litigation department in the Charlotte, North Carolina office. Her background includes civil, criminal, and domestic practice in both North Carolina and Florida. Prior to joining Shumaker, Ms. Stevenson was the lead attorney for a non-profit agency which represents the best interests of children in court proceedings. Ms. Stevenson received her J.D. from the University of Florida, and her B.A., cum laude, from Wake Forest University.
- Ms. Stiles is resident in the Charlotte, North Carolina office and member of the litigation group and medical malpractice team. Ms. Stiles primarily focuses her practice on defending medical malpractice cases and catastrophic personal injury litigation. She received her J.D. from the Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law at Campbell University, and her B.A. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Mr. Villaveces is Board Certified in real estate law and is located in the Sarasota, Florida office. His practice focuses on all aspects of commercial and residential real estate. Before joining the firm, Mr. Villaveces worked as Manager of Operations and In-house counsel for a national software company recognized as one of the fastest growing privately held companies in the U.S. by Inc. magazine. Mr. Villaveces received his J.D. and B.S. from Florida State University.
* * *
Founded in 1925, Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP is a full service law firm with 215 attorneys practicing in Toledo and Columbus, Ohio; Tampa and Sarasota, Florida; and Charlotte, North Carolina.