Corporate Law / Business Organizations
Shumaker has broad capabilities to assist clients ranging from small, closely held businesses to Fortune 500 companies. Clients know that we are a knowledgeable, pragmatic, results-oriented business partner and that the lawyers serving each client's needs – whether individually or as members of a cohesive, handpicked team – have a personal commitment to the achievement of the client's goals that is second only to that of the client itself.
What Makes Us Different
We embrace the truth about the provision of legal services – that it is a personal service business and clients want their legal needs addressed by the same individual lawyer or group of lawyers on a consistent basis. The team of Shumaker lawyers who together get to know your company and its goals will be the same team that responds to your questions and requests for assistance time and time again.
Rather than take a "one size fits all" approach, we believe there is an ideal working relationship between our law firm and each client. Your Shumaker lawyer will create a strong, steady working relationship with you. Consistent, responsive service is what you can expect from us, through appropriately sized and specially selected teams that have the skill and flexibility to step in as special counsel in any matter and the consistency to handle a client's ongoing legal concerns.
- We have commercial clients across the U.S. and in many foreign countries, with more than 25% of our work involving cross-border matters.
- We serve as outside general counsel to various publicly held and family owned companies and are a preferred provider of legal services to numerous members of the Fortune 500.
- The majority of our clients are middle market companies with revenues ranging from $30 million to $1 billion.
- Although we work with companies in virtually all industry sectors, we have significant experience and specialized industry knowledge in the fields of health care, finance (including financial institutions, financial advisors and real estate finance), manufacturing, insurance, communications and distribution.
Why You Benefit
Lawyers in our various offices work well with one another and are available to help as your needs dictate. We'll gain an in-depth understanding of your unique requirements that will deepen with the duration of our working relationship. Each company has a different story and different objectives, and the Shumaker lawyers who counsel you will take the time to learn about both your business and your goals.
- Advice on choosing the appropriate form of business entity – corporation, general or limited partnership, limited liability company, joint venture or individual proprietorship – for maximum operational and tax efficiency.
- Guidance on structuring efficient sales, supply or licensing agreements, consulting or similar business arrangements, and other essential contracts and relationships, so that your business interests are protected.
- Counseling on the fiduciary duties of officers and directors, including the proper powers of board members, their interaction with management and their responsibilities to shareholders.
- Assistance with transfer of business control, whether through development of succession plans, responding to recapitalization offers or handling business sale or dissolution arrangements.
- Collaboration with privately owned and family owned businesses and their management to develop appropriate entity structures, financial strategies and succession plans.
- Recommendations to public company boards and senior executives on governance issues involving fiduciary duties, duty of care and the business judgment rule.
- Advice to board members regarding committee structure, indemnification rights and D&O insurance.
- Help for public and private companies to resolve shareholder disputes, conduct shareholder meetings and respond to shareholder derivative actions.
- Assistance with disclosure, compensation and compliance matters.
What you can expect from Shumaker
Shumaker's corporate lawyers have the appropriate blend of legal skills and experience, as well as the creativity and strategic vision, to provide insightful advice and guidance to our clients and their key decision makers. Our client-focused dynamic begins with our selective hiring process—engaging top graduates from law schools around the nation as well as high quality lateral hires from other major law firms. Whether we are hiring a new law school graduate or bringing on an experienced lawyer from another firm, we strive to make sure that all of our professionals embrace our philosophy of building a legal practice through the establishment of a select number of long-term client relationships.
Throughout our relationship with every client, Shumaker lawyers do their utmost to align themselves with the client's individual interests and growth plans and to learn and anticipate the problems, pitfalls and obstacles in the way of achieving those goals.
|10.30.2014||Shumaker Attorneys Panelists at Florida Venture Forum Bootcamp|
|10.22.2014||Richard Q. Lewis, III Named Chair of Business Law Section of the Sarasota County Bar Association|
|10.22.2014||Richard Q. Lewis, III Named to Sarasota Memorial Healthcare Foundation Audit Committee|
|09.25.2014||Gregory C. Yadley Acknowledged by American Bar Association for His Service|
|09.02.2014||Shumaker Launches Law Blog to Highlight Social Media Developments|
|08.21.2014||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Lawyers Named Best Lawyers® 2015 “Lawyer of the Year”|
|07.07.2014||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Named Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite|
|06.12.2014||Warren P. Kean Joins Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP|
|05.29.2014||Shumaker Attorneys Recognized as Leading Lawyers in Chambers USA|
|05.28.2014||Christina C. Nethero and H.S. "Brad" deBeaubien Graduate Tampa Connection|
|04.23.2014||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick Attorney Gregory C. Yadley Presents at American Bar Association Spring Meeting in Los Angeles|
|01.14.2014||Two Non-Profits, Attorneys, Students and Entrepreneurs Partner to Clean Up Tampa Bay|
|12.03.2013||Sarasota Attorney Leaves His Mark on Florida Business Law|
|11.22.2013||Tampa Attorney Announces Formation of Bi-National Tampa/Canada Chamber of Commerce|
|11.18.2013||Tampa Attorney Paves the Way for Small Business Investing and Crowdfunding|
|11.06.2013||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Receives Metropolitan First-Tier Rankings in U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” for 2014|
|10.21.2013||Leonardo M. Dosoretz Joins Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP|
|08.15.2013||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Lawyers Named Best Lawyers' 2014 “Lawyers of the Year”|
|08.13.2013||Michael H. Robbins Appointed Vice-Chair of Corporations, Securities and Financial Services Committee of the Business Law Section of The Florida Bar|
|07.29.2013||Andrew L. McIntosh Joins Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP|
|06.27.2013||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Named Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite and Up & Comers|
|05.30.2013||Julio C. Esquivel Elected to Board of Directors of the Gasparilla Music Festival|
|05.29.2013||Shumaker Recognized in Chambers USA|
|05.28.2013||Steven S. Grieco Graduates From Leadership Tampa|
|11.05.2012||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Ranked Among “Best Law Firms” in U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers® Guide|
|09.13.2012||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Lawyers Named Best Lawyers' 2013 “Lawyers of the Year”|
|06.15.2012||Shumaker Recognized in Chambers USA|
|06.13.2012||Gregory C. Yadley Named a Top 100 Florida Super Lawyer|
|09.19.2011||Barbara Gallé Rivas and Austin K. Irving Join Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP|
|11.02.2010||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Named 2011 Lawyers of the Year by Best Lawyers|
|09.27.2010||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Receives First Tier Rankings in U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers 2010 “Best Law Firms” Inaugural List |
|09.16.2010||Peter E. Krebs Joins Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP|
|05.06.2010||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Named “Leaders in their Field” by Chambers USA |
|06.16.2014||"Letter of Intent: Gateway to a Deal"|
|04.30.2014||"Key Points of the New Florida LLC Act"|
|March 2014||"Florida's New Revised LLC Act, Part IV"|
|January 2014||"Florida's New Revised LLC Act, Part III"|
|November 2013||"Florida's New Revised LLC Act, Part II"|
|September/October 2013||"Florida's New Revised LLC Act, Part I"|
|06.2013||Co-Author, “Corporate Name,” Florida Corporate Practice, Seventh Edition|
|06.2013||Co-Author, “Appraisal Rights,” Florida Corporate Practice, Seventh Edition|
|05.20.2013||"Florida Adopts New LLC Act News Alert"|
|02.01.2012||"Interesting North Carolina Business Law Changes for 2012," Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Dividends Newsletter|
|12.01.2011||"L3Cs: New Kid on the Company Block," Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Dividends Newsletter|
|07.27.2011||"If You Pay For A Work To Be Developed, Do You Own The Copyright?" |
|03.01.2011||"That's Not Me: Trademark Identity Theft," Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Dividends Newsletter|
Events and Presentations