With over 80 litigators across five offices, Shumaker is able to successfully represent clients in many different types of litigation matters. We bring a business emphasis to litigation to accomplish client goals both inside and outside the courtroom. Our clients include Fortune 1000 companies, mid-market and family businesses, officers and individuals in a wide range of disputes throughout the United States.
What Makes Us Different
We define "winning" as reaching the best result for our clients as efficiently as possible, and we are particularly sensitive to the economic realities of the adversarial process. Developing the right strategy from the beginning to achieve our clients goals is key. Our lawyers help clients analyze the risks and benefits of litigation and implement a strategy which may include all aspects of trial preparation, mediation, arbitration, negotiation and other forms of dispute resolution. Developing the right strategy for each given situation to achieve client objectives is our first priority.
Shumaker litigators use sophisticated trial management, litigation support, database and presentation technology, but never as a substitute for the hard work, strategic approach and commitment needed to resolve disputes. Our skills as a trial team are illustrated by the selection of several of our litigators as fellows in the Litigation Counsel of America (an invitation-only honor accorded to less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers) and by team members with Board Certification in such areas as Appellate, Bankruptcy, Business Litigation, Civil Trial and Construction law.
We continually look for new ways to add value to the litigation equation, such as our unique Business Backstopsm program, with a menu of streamlined and effective solutions to help businesses deal with uncertainties in challenging economic times. These programs help our clients avoid disputes by providing them with solid business procedures that become a part of their day-to-day operating procedures.
- Large, middle-size and small business clients
- Companies with industry-specific litigation needs, from construction to healthcare
- Manufacturers and distributors of commercial and consumer products
- Medical, legal and financial professionals
Why You Benefit
Clients receive the benefits of a skilled and experienced litigation group which offers a variety of litigation services that are typified by these key strengths:
- Experienced litigators, prepared for court room trial, with access to scalable resources needed to successfully represent our clients in a wide range of disputes.
- Recognizing that not all matters require pursuit of formal trial proceedings, Shumaker litigators are also skilled at all forms of dispute resolution including: negotiation, mediation and arbitration.
- With each dispute, our commercial litigators sit down with the client and discuss goals and expectations. Then, working together, we develop a strategic plan that has the best chance of maximizing results to achieve your goals.
- We are equally effective in the complex issues that require hearing in federal, state or appellate courts, providing lawyers who have pursued significant issues and established new law.
- Commercial litigation
- Corporate compliance and investigation
- Federal court litigation
- Fidelity, surety and specialty bonds
- Product liability
- Professional liability
- Alternative dispute resolution
- Appellate practice
What You Can Expect from Shumaker
When clients ask Shumaker to represent their interests, we take the time to understand how their business works, know the issues and create a clear and comprehensive strategy. We work quickly to assess the merits of opposing claims, balance the strength of the allegations against the potential damages and advise clients on the best approach to resolve the dispute.
If trial is the best option, our seasoned trial teams can quickly identify the issues and develop a strategy which affords our clients the best chance of victory in the courtroom.
More detailed descriptions of our litigation practices and strengths are linked to this description. Together they illustrate the varied skills Shumaker offers to deal with your litigation needs.