The breadth and depth of our commercial litigation practice reflects the diversity and strength of our largest single practice group. With more than fifty lawyers, our commercial litigation group is able to draw upon a depth of experience in order to handle both large and small commercial litigation matters effectively and efficiently. Our trial lawyers understand that the litigation process is often frustrating to our business clients and are particularly sensitive to the economic realities of litigation. Our commercial litigation group understands business and dispenses practical advice that advances our client's economic interests.
Recognizing that not all matters require pursuit of formal litigation, our commercial litigators are skilled at all forms of dispute resolution including direct negotiation, mediation, arbitration and, when in the best interest of the client, litigation. With each project, our commercial litigators sit down with the client and discuss goals and expectations. Then, together with the client, a strategic plan is developed that has the best chance of maximizing results.
In addition to their skill with the traditional tools of the litigator, our commercial litigators have also embraced the latest technology to assist with case preparation. Using the most up-to-date technology, our commercial litigators regularly use litigation support software, computerized document databases, the Internet and other online research tools to make the most of their time. Our commercial litigators are familiar and comfortable with computer technology and are able to respond to client's desires for information via electronic media as requested.
Some of the areas in which our commercial litigators have special experience include:
- Unfair competition and other business torts including theft of trade secrets, tortious interference with contract and business disparagement.
- Claims arising under the Uniform Commercial Code including buyer's and seller's remedies and breach of warranty claims.
- Shareholder litigation involving claims by minority shareholders.
- Disputes arising out of mergers and acquisitions.
- Commercial fraud, negligent misrepresentation and other business torts.
- Product liability claims on behalf of manufacturers and suppliers.
- Professional liability claims.
- Collection of accounts receivable.
- Claims arising under the Consumer Sales Practices Act and the Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
From our Toledo and Columbus offices our business litigators represent clients throughout Ohio. In addition, with a significant group of litigators licensed in Michigan, we also regularly appear in cases in the state and federal courts of Michigan. From our Charlotte and Tampa offices we represent clients throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida and the southeastern United States. We also represent a number of companies on a regional basis and supervise litigation on a national basis for other clients.