Adam M. Galat is an associate in the litigation practice group. He joined Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP after having served as a judicial clerk at the trial and appellate levels. His experience includes the representation of manufacturers, employers, financial institutions, commercial landlords, and franchisors in all aspects of commercial litigation. He has extensive experience in appellate advocacy by successfully briefing and arguing appeals before state and federal courts.
- Kehoe Component Sales, Inc. v. Best Lighting Products, 796 F.3d 576, (6th Cir.2015). Representation of manufacturer of emergency lighting products in litigation with its designer and marketer. Claims and counterclaims regarded breach of contract, conversion, Lanham Act, trade secrets, tortious interference, and implied warranties. Trial resulted in judgment against our client. Successfully obtained reversal of claims regarding trade secrets, Lanham Act, conversion, and warranties, which amounted to an approximate $1.5 million savings to our client.
- Black v. Columbus Sports Network, LLC, 10th Dist. Franklin No. 13AP-1025, 2014-Ohio-3607. Representation of sellers of securities in defense of securities fraud litigation. Trial resulted in a defense verdict. Successfully obtained affirmance on appeal.
- Hope Academy v. White Hat, __ N.E. 3d __, 2015-Ohio-3716 (Sept. 15, 2015). Representation of charter schools in litigation with for-profit school operators. Trial court issued summary judgment decision limiting the fiduciary duties owed by operators to the charter schools they serve. Tenth District Court of Appeals affirmed. Successfully obtained reversal when Supreme Court recognized broad fiduciary duties owed by operators.
- American Signature, Inc. v. Extreme Linen, No. 2:12-CV-00601, 2015 WL 1476751 (S.D. Ohio Mar. 31, 2015). Representation of manufacturer of textile products in litigation with a retailer for breach of contract and promissory estoppel. Successfully defended against summary judgment sought by retailer.
- Hope Academy v. White Hat, 10th Dist. Franklin No. 12AP-116, 2013-Ohio-911. Representation of charter schools in litigation with for-profit school operators. Obtained discovery order requiring disclosure of alleged trade secrets and other proprietary information. Successfully obtained affirmance of discovery order on appeal.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Columbus Bar Association
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Development Board
- J.D., The University of Toledo College of Law, 2006
- B.A., Miami University, 2003
Bar and Court Admissions
- Ohio, 2006
- United States District Court Southern District of Ohio