John D. (Jack) Gillespie has extensive experience representing developers and investors on all aspects of commercial real estate development and joint venture formation. He regularly represents developers and investors in connection with financings, and small businesses in connection with their corporate needs. He also has substantial experience representing buyers and sellers of real estate on large portfolio transactions, including complex ground and air rights lease transactions. Jack has a working knowledge base in the emerging area of real estate in the sharing economy and real estate crowdfunding.
Jack has a focus in health care real estate, including senior housing facilities (skilled nursing, assisted living and memory care), medical office buildings and physician practices. Investors in health care real estate (whether medical office building developers, health care REITs or physician groups), often require his counsel in negotiating transactions with hospital systems.
On a day-to-day basis, in connection with his health care real estate practice, Jack covers a number of issues, including:
- acquisition, disposition and development of medical office buildings
- the needs of REITs in acquisitions, new development projects, dispositions, loan assumptions and consents, and leasing transactions
- campus developments and hospital master leases
- ground leases and air rights leases in connection with campus developments
- development, asset management and property management agreements
Jack serves as part of a team designated as national leasing counsel for a publicly traded health care REIT with a portfolio comprising over 15 million square feet.