Shumaker has maintained an extensive health law practice for almost half a century. Our lawyers are familiar with all aspects of the industry and work as a team, enabling us to not just advise on matters as they arise, but proactively help our clients identify opportunities and avoid problems.
Our clients count on us for legal advice that reflects the practical realities that health care systems, physician groups and other providers face in the marketplace. Many of our major clients are leading institutions in their communities that have trusted us for decades to serve them in a principled, cost-effective way. We are dedicated to honoring that trust.
Representative Types of Clients
- Hospitals and health systems
- Physicians and physician groups
- Academic medical centers and research hospitals
- Ambulatory surgery centers
- Medical transportation companies
- Imaging and other diagnostic facilities
- Dialysis and radiation therapy facilities
- Nursing and assisted living facilities
- Pharmacies and medical equipment suppliers
- Tissue banks and cancer treatment centers
What Makes Us Different
We are keenly aware of the strategic interdependence of health care providers, practitioners and payors. Our representation of many different types of clients helps us understand and anticipate their strategic concerns. Our clients expect us to be on top of the constantly changing regulatory and business environment—and identify any opportunities they present.
Just as important is our ability to give clients tools to ensure that their day-to-day operations comply with legal and regulatory requirements without constant lawyer involvement. We have designed compliance programs for national provider chains, multi-hospital networks, physician groups and billing companies.
Our clients rely on us not only because of our knowledge and experience, but also because of our responsiveness – we honor our clients’ timetables. We also work with the client’s personnel, including in house counsel, to minimize the need for our services.
- Strategic advice and counsel
- Service as outside general counsel
- Governance advice
- Tax exemption issues, including maintenance of 501(c)(3) status and tax-exempt financing
- Fraud and abuse, self-referral and false claims issues
- Licensure, accreditation, certification and certificate of need issues
- Medical staff matters
- Employment law
- Compliance programs
- Mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures
- Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement
- Payor contracting and provider network design
- Operational issues, including quality assurance and risk management
- Health care litigation
- Acquisitions, affiliations, and general corporate matters