We represent clients in appellate proceedings in all jurisdictions and provide appellate support for trial lawyers.
Effective representation in appellate matters requires deep, highly specific knowledge and experience. Our Appellate practice group is available to assist in matters that involve, or are likely to involve, an appeal. We have represented clients before the Supreme Court of the United States, as well as in state and federal courts throughout the country. We routinely work with colleagues who contribute subject-matter expertise to each appellate representation as needed.
Members of our team frequently serve as lead appellate counsel in matters the firm litigated, although we also handle appeals of cases tried by other law firms or serve as co-counsel with other lawyers for the appellate process. We recognize the advantages of having an appellate specialist actively involved in trial court proceedings to assist with framing legal theories and preserving points for a possible appeal, and we recommend the early involvement of the Appellate practice group in any significant litigation.
We also serve as counsel of record for organizations wishing to participate in appellate proceedings as an amicus curiae, or "friend of the court."
- Appeals from final and non-final orders in all jurisdictions
- Extraordinary writs and other forms of discretionary review
- Appeals from administrative or governmental agency decisions at all levels
- Post-opinion motions practice, including motions for rehearing
- Trial support, including preservation of error and assistance with dispositive motions and post-judgment motions
- Appellate support for brief writing or oral argument
- Application for appellate attorneys’ fees
- Preparation of amicus briefs