We advise clients on complex national and international franchise and distribution issues.
Consistently recognized as leaders in the field by Chambers USA, Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP’s Franchise and Distribution lawyers provide a full range of services to client companies offering goods and services through franchising and related distribution methods. We regularly help clients develop and plan franchise, distribution, and licensing programs. For new franchisors, we prepare franchise, area development, and related agreements, while we routinely review and update agreements for existing franchisors.
Our trial lawyers have successfully handled hundreds of franchise matters, often taking cases through final award or judgment throughout the United States. Our experience extends to representing clients in all forms of alternative dispute resolution. We also steer clients through the maze of evolving federal, state, and international regulations governing the sale of franchises. In addition, we help franchisors prepare offering circulars that comply with disclosure requirements, as well as assist in their registration when it is required.
- New and existing franchisors/distributors
- Assistance with trademark registration and licensing
- General and specific guidance and assistance with the organization and reorganization of franchise or distribution systems
- Assistance in negotiating, preparing, and updating franchise, area development, distribution, and related agreements as well as master licenses
- Counsel on franchise-related real estate matters
- Assistance in the creation or modification of a franchise advertising cooperative
- Advice on the termination of an existing franchise, distributorship, or dealership from the perspective of both the franchisor/distributor and the franchisee/distributorship
- Counsel on the implications of franchise relationships within the context of mergers, acquisitions, and other business changes
- Litigation and arbitration of franchise-related disputes