Adam is a partner in the Health Care practice group. His practice involves advising health care systems, hospitals, physicians, physician groups, and other providers through transactions, regulatory compliance, and litigation. His experience includes matters concerning:
- Peer review
- Fraud and abuse
- Compliance programs
- The False Claims Act
- 42 CFR Part 2
- Exclusion screening
- Licensure and corporate mergers/acquisitions and divestitures
- Sayegh v. Khoury, 5th Dist. Muskingum Nos. CT2017-0010, CT2015-0063, CT2015-0045, 2017-Ohio-2889, appeal not allowed, 151 Ohio St.3d 1506, 90 N.E.3d 948, 2018-Ohio-365. Appellate representation of former spouse in concurrent appeals concerning property distribution of divorce decree and 60(B) relief sought by former husband. Successfully obtained reversal of many components of property distribution and successfully obtained affirmance on 60(B) relief.
- Simmons v. Extendicare Health Services, Inc., 5th Dist. Delaware No. 15CAE120095, 2016-Ohio-4831, appeal not allowed, 148 Ohio St.3d 1410, 69 N.E.3d 750, 2017-Ohio-573. Representation of estate of deceased resident in wrongful death suit against rehabilitation and nursing facility. Facility sought to stay litigation and enforce an arbitration provision. Successfully defeated facility’s attempt to stay litigation and enforce an arbitration provision. Successfully obtained affirmance on appeal.
- Kehoe Component Sales, Inc. v. Best Lighting Products, 796 F.3d 576, (6th Cir.2015). Representation of manufacturer of emergency lighting products in litigation with its designer and marketer. Claims and counterclaims regarded breach of contract, conversion, Lanham Act, trade secrets, tortious interference, and implied warranties. Trial resulted in judgment against our client. Successfully obtained reversal of claims regarding trade secrets, Lanham Act, conversion, and warranties, which amounted to an approximate $1.5 million savings to our client.
- Black v. Columbus Sports Network, LLC, 10th Dist. Franklin No. 13AP-1025, 2014-Ohio-3607. Representation of sellers of securities in defense of securities fraud litigation. Trial resulted in a defense verdict. Successfully obtained affirmance on appeal.
- Hope Academy v. White Hat, 145 Ohio St.3d 29, 46 N.E.3d 665, 2015-Ohio-3716. Representation of charter schools in litigation with for-profit school operators. Trial court issued summary judgment decision limiting the fiduciary duties owed by operators to the charter schools they serve. Tenth District Court of Appeals affirmed. Successfully obtained reversal when Supreme Court recognized broad fiduciary duties owed by operators.
- American Signature, Inc. v. Extreme Linen, No. 2:12-CV-00601, 2015 WL 1476751 (S.D. Ohio Mar. 31, 2015). Representation of manufacturer of textile products in litigation with a retailer for breach of contract and promissory estoppel. Successfully defended against summary judgment sought by retailer.
- Hope Academy v. White Hat, 10th Dist. Franklin No. 12AP-116, 2013-Ohio-911, appeal not allowed, 136 Ohio St.3d 1452, 991 N.E.2d 258, 2013-Ohio-3210. Representation of charter schools in litigation with for-profit school operators. Obtained discovery order requiring disclosure of alleged trade secrets and other proprietary information. Successfully obtained affirmance of discovery order on appeal.
- Conducted annual assessments of effectiveness of hospital systems’ compliance plans.
- Composed HIPAA policies and procedures for multi-office practitioner.
- Completed multi-state compendium of fraud and abuse laws and regulations concerning pharmacies and pharmacy benefit managers.
- Presented monthly seminars and presentations to health institutions’ compliance officers on wide range of health care topics implicated by systems and practitioners.
- Advised hospital system concerning alcohol and drug addiction services and issues relating to DEA and Ohio specific practitioners.
- Performed due diligence related to bond financing of multi-billion dollar acquisition.
- Negotiated broad range of employment agreements, consultation agreements, and service agreements.
- Represented individual practitioners in licensure proceedings before Ohio Medical Board, Ohio Board of Nursing, and Ohio Board of Developmental Disabilities.
- Updated and finalized policies and procedures of hospital system to ensure compliance with revised laws and regulations.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Toledo Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association, Health Law Committee
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Leadership Toledo, Class of 2018
- Society for Ohio Health Care Attorneys
- Thomas J. Moyer American Inn of Court
- J.D., The University of Toledo College of Law, 2006
- B.A., Miami University, 2003
Bar and Court Admissions
- Ohio, 2006
- United States District Court Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court Southern District of Ohio