Partner, Litigation Practice Co-Administrator
Serving as a bridge between the public and private sector, Mark helps guide colleagues and clients alike through the complex maze at the intersection of law, public policy, business, and politics. Clients come to Mark for their most challenging problems where he uses his creativity and skill to help solve them. As the co-administrator of the Litigation Practice group, clients draw on his more than two decades of experience. This, paired with his understanding that government can serve as both a powerful agent for the common good, as well as a paralyzing force that can stifle progress and growth, allows him to successfully litigate cases in antitrust, franchise, racketeer influenced and corrupt organizations (RICO), and securities disputes.
- Resolved criminal antitrust investigation by the United States Department of Justice, which closed its investigation without bringing any charges against client.
- Served as lead counsel over whether national beer manufacturer could terminate its Ohio distributors. Secured a victory for client enjoining the termination, and The United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit affirmed the decision.
- Served as trial counsel in federal jury trial regarding multi-million dollar real estate transaction. Jury returned a complete defense verdict for client.
- Served as lead counsel in a federal class action regarding violations of Ohio's right of publicity. Case settled on very favorable terms after the filing of a motion to dismiss asserting the statutes violated the First Amendment.
- Served as lead counsel for nationwide franchisor for theft of trade secret case in federal court. Secured a temporary restraining order within 24 hours, and later had judgment successfully entered requiring defendants to return the stolen trade secrets and disgorge their profits.
- Lead trial counsel on behalf of a major American airline in federal bench trial. Judgment entered in favor of client on all claims, and The United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit affirmed the decision.
- Lead trial counsel in successful jury trial in Michigan state court over franchise and distributorship issues.
- Trial counsel in federal jury trial in a franchise dispute. Jury entered a verdict for client resulting in significant damages. The decision was recognized by the ABA Annual Franchise and Distribution Update as one of the most significant of the year.
- Trial counsel in federal jury trial that resulted in six figure compensatory and punitive damages in favor of client.
- Lead trial counsel in complex arbitration over distribution and payment for polyethylene pellets distributed across United States. Substantial award entered in favor of client for full amount owed.
- Drafted amicus curiae briefs filed with Supreme Court of Ohio and United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit on a variety of issues.
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013 - 2019
- Ohio Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine, 2005 - 2006, 2010 - 2011
- Toledo Business Journal, "Who's Who in Toledo Area Law"
- Toledo Bar Association, "Pro Bono Service Award"
- The Ohio State University College of Law, "Outstanding Alumni Award," 2006
- Ohio Association of Justice "Legislator of the Year"
- Council of State Government, Toll Fellowship
- Ohio Nurses Association “Legislator of the Year”
- Ohio Convention and Visitors Bureau’s “Legislator of the Year”
- Lifeline of Ohio “Legacy Award”
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Toledo Bar Association
- Ohio Bar Association
- American Bar Association
|09.10.2018||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Toledo Business Journal’s "Who’s Who In Toledo Area Law"|
|08.15.2018||Shumaker Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019|
|01.19.2018||Wagoner and Walinski Co-Author Article on Ohio’s Modern Court Amendment|
|09.08.2017||Hollabaugh Joins Shumaker Advisors Ohio, LLC |
|08.17.2017||Shumaker Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018|
|06.07.2017||Mark Wagoner Appointed to Bipartisan Judicial Advisory Commission to Recommend Federal Judge Nominees|
|06.01.2017||Shumaker Advisors, LLC Expands Services|
|05.08.2017||Shumaker Advisors, LLC Launches in Florida|
|09.22.2016||New Protections on Tap for Beer Distributors: Upcoming Merger of SAB Miller and ABInBev Raise Significant Antitrust Implications|
|09.21.2016||Shumaker Attorneys Instrumental in Changing Ohio Representation at National Statuary Hall|
|08.16.2016||Shumaker Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers In America® 2017|
|07.06.2016||Lobbying and Government Relations Consulting Firm Shumaker Advisors Joins Forces With The Craig Group |
|08.19.2015||Shumaker Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers In America® 2016|
|05.27.2015||Wachtmann Joins Shumaker Advisors, LLC|
|05.04.2015||Mark Wagoner Speaker at Ohio State Bar Association Annual Convention|
|09.05.2014||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Selected for Toledo Business Journal’s “Who’s Who in Toledo Area Law” Recognition|
|08.21.2014||83 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015|
|09.26.2013||Mark Wagoner Featured Speaker at Ohio Wholesale Beer & Wine Association’s Annual Meeting|
|08.15.2013||83 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014|
|03.13.2013||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Announces the Formation of Shumaker Advisors, LLC and the Addition of Andrew W. Herf|
|09.12.2012||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Selected for Toledo Business Journal’s “Who’s Who in Toledo Area Law” Recognition|
|08.28.2012||81 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013|
|08.23.2012||Shumaker Attorney Mark Wagoner Wins Landmark Victory in Beer Distributorship Case|
|09.15.2011||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Selected for Toledo Business Journal’s “Who’s Who in Toledo Area Law” Recognition|
|12.20.2010||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Named to 2011 Ohio Super Lawyers and Ohio Rising Stars|
|07.29.2010||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Selected for Toledo Business Journal’s “Who’s Who in Area Law” Recognition|
|01.07.2010||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Names Mark Wagoner as a Partner|
Events and Presentations
- J.D., The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, The Ohio State Law Journal, Articles Editor 1996-97, 1997
- B.A., cum laude, Georgetown University, 1994
Bar and Court Admissions
- Ohio, 1997
- Michigan, 1998
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit
- United States District Court Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court Western District of Michigan
- United States District Court Southern District of Indiana
- United States District Court Western District of Pennsylvania