Michael E. Dockins
A chemical engineer and registered patent attorney practicing in the areas of intellectual property (IP) and technology law, Mike develops a thorough understanding of a client's specific technologies and overall business strategy, and assists them in outlining and implementing a proprietary rights strategy with a global perspective.
Focused specifically on patent, trademark, and copyright law, Mike’s practice consists of preparation and prosecution of patent applications in various technical arts, including the chemical, material, and mechanical arts. Recognized as a dedicated and communicative counselor, clients also look to him for preparation of legal opinions in respect of patentability, infringement, patent validity, and freedom to practice. Furthermore, his practice consists of formulation and prosecution of trademark applications, trademark oppositions and cancellations, and litigation.
Mike’s experience in-house has given him an understanding of the challenges his clients face. He previously served as Intellectual Property Counsel for First Solar, Inc., managing First Solar’s patent and trademark portfolios, developing and instituting corporate IP management policies, and negotiating a wide range of IP agreements.
In addition, clients find Mike’s chemical engineering background invaluable. He earned a Baccalaureate of Science in Chemical Engineering with course work in polymer sciences, magna cum laude, from the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Indiana, and a Juris Doctor, cum laude, from the University of Toledo. While at the University of Toledo, Mike also earned a certificate of concentration in intellectual property law and he served as a technical editor for the University of Toledo Law Review.
Away from the office, Mike can be found spending time with his children who he deems to be the most important things in his life. He also enjoys traveling to new places, weightlifting, and sports in general.
- Mor-Dall Enterprises, Inc. d/b/a Dark Horse Brewing Co. v. Dark Horse Distillery, LLC, et al., Case No. 1:13-cv-915-RHB (W.D. Mich. 2013). Co- counsel for plaintiff brewing company in trademark infringement action; obtained a jury verdict of willful trademark infringement and personal liability for the infringement
- Centrex Plastics, LLC v. Diversified Re-Packaging Corporation (d/b/a U.S. Merchants), Case No. 3:15-cv-968 (N.D. Ohio 2015), lead counsel for national container manufacturing company in a design patent infringement suit against a competitor manufacturing company; favorable settlement achieved through negotiations
- Dame Enterprises, Ltd. v. Nippon Menard Cosmetics Co., Case No. 3:08-cv-2868 (N.D. Ohio 2008), lead counsel for beauty supply and service company in a trademark infringement suit against international beauty supply company; favorable settlement achieved after mediation
- Universal Tube & Rollform Equipment Corporation v. Youtube, Inc., Char Hurley, and Steve Chen, Case No. 3:06-cv-2628 (N.D. Ohio 2006). co-counsel for a local equipment manufacturer in an unfair competition, trademark dilution, trespass to chattel, nuisance, deceptive trade practice, and copyright infringement action against a media company and its principals; favorable settlement achieved through negotiations
- Bayer Healthcare, LLC v. Hospice of Northwest Ohio, Opposition No. 85772550 (TTAB 2013), lead counsel for health care service provider in trademark opposition proceeding, achieving a favorable settlement
- Ohio Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine, 2017 - 2018
- Distinguished Young Alumni Award, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, 2012
Professional and Community Affiliations
- CIFT (Center for Innovative Food Technology), Board Member
- Inspirations Early Learning Center, Board Member
- Leadership Toledo, Class of 2009
- Leadership Toledo, Board of Trustees (2009-2012)
- International Fraternity of Phi Gamma Delta, Board of Directors (2000-2002)
- Plastic Technologies, Inc., Advisory Board (2014-present)
|2005||"Hyperlinks: The Good, the Bad, and the Tortious," 36 U.Tol.L.Rev. 367|
- J.D., cum laude, The University of Toledo College of Law, 2005
- B.S., magna cum laude, Chemical Engineering, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, 2002
Bar and Court Admissions
- Indiana, 2006
- Ohio, 2005
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit
- United States District Court Northern District of Ohio
- United States District Court Southern District of Ohio
- United States District Court Northern District of Indiana
- United States District Court Southern District of Indiana
- United States District Court Western District of Michigan