Experienced in both state and federal courts, Patrick practices employment law and litigation on behalf of management in a variety of complex workplace and business disputes. His specific litigation practice areas include:
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Florida Civil Rights Act (FCRA)
- Florida Whistleblower Act
- Genetic Information and Nondiscrimination Act (GINA)
- Open government and open meeting laws
- Title VII
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)
- Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN Act)
- Use of force
- Contractual and other business-related disputes
- 1981 and 1983 actions
Patrick also represents employers in pre-litigation matters before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Department of Labor (DOL), and the Florida Commission on Human Relations.
He routinely advises employers regarding workplace concerns including:
- Public sector collective bargaining
- Hostile work environments
- Hiring matters
- Contractual matters
- Reasonable accommodations
- Documenting workplace conduct
- Employee drug testing
- Workplace investigations
- Employee grievances
- Terminating employees
- Post-employment hearing
Having a passion for sharing his knowledge, Patrick is a frequent lecturer and trainer on a variety of employment-related topics, and consistently drafts, reviews, and enforces employment policies and handbooks, employee contracts, restrictive covenants, and severance agreements.
After earning his law degree from the Stetson University College of Law, Patrick served as an Assistant State Attorney in both Sarasota and Manatee Counties, prosecuting some of this area’s most notorious criminals. He also served as in-house counsel for the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office for eight years. As a result, Patrick possesses extensive knowledge of governmental affairs, constitutional law, and criminal law. He is a registered lobbyist before the executive branch including the Florida’s Constitutional Revision Commission.
In his free time, Patrick enjoys spending time with his family.