Sharon M. Fulop
Partner, Management Committee Member, Real Estate Practice Co-Administrator
From concept through construction to occupancy, Sharon represents developers, owners, tenants, investors, lenders, borrowers, and large and small businesses in a wide range of commercial real estate transactions. She offers an integrated approach, a national practice, and a documented record of success in the acquisition, disposition, leasing, financing, construction, and development of real property.
Known for her collaborative approach, clients benefit from Sharon’s ability to immerse herself in her client's business activities, allowing her to provide immediate and practical business and legal counsel. She counsels a variety of lenders in connection with complex loan originations, restructurings, and workouts. Borrowers also draw on Sharon's significant experience in real estate secured and asset based lending arrangements. She has extensive experience assisting clients, including REITs and real estate investment funds, in the acquisition of multiple commercial facilities in multiple states. In addition, Sharon has vast experience in the representation of owners, users, investors, developers, contractors, and construction managers in large commercial development and construction projects throughout the region and in other areas of the country. She is well-versed in all major construction industry forms and often creates unique templates for both owner and contractor clients. Many clients have benefited from Sharon’s experience and business acumen through up-front construction planning that analyzes project delivery methods, mitigation of risks, and methods of avoiding "scope creep" before it is too late.
In addition to her real estate practice, Sharon also acts as counsel to college coaches and others in the sports industry.
- Lead counsel in the development of a multi-use facility, including retail, restaurant and residential, to complement a higher education campus. Worked closely with client to negotiate and prepare documents for assemblage of properties, remediation and close-out of environmental matters, application for and receipt of governmental approvals, construction and design contracts, financing, lease-up and ongoing tenancy matters.
- Lead counsel in numerous sales and acquisitions of existing medical office or medical-related facilities throughout the country, providing advice and counsel from the letter of intent stage, through completion of due diligence, lease review, construction and remediation matters, resolution of complex real estate and business matters and closing.
- Lead counsel for complex transaction involving formation of joint venture and acquisition of existing commercial buildings to be redeveloped into 45,000 s.f. surgery center. Worked with client to navigate issues involving change in use, development approvals, drafting of complex REAs, project management, post-closing construction agreements, and shared services agreements.
- Local counsel for a number of national companies developing new large-scale manufacturing and warehousing facilities in Ohio. Worked closely with corporate counsel and other outside counsel in addressing numerous legal issues complicating developments, including those relating to assemblage, platting, land swaps, 1031 exchanges, public development partners, Port Authority financing, found archeological artifacts, and wetlands.
- Local counsel for a number of national real estate investment firms acquiring large outdoor lifestyle centers or other retail centers. Work included providing general local counsel advice and coordinating and supervising a legal team to perform title, survey and zoning review, lease review, tax abatement agreements, and other due diligence in a cost-effective and time-sensitive manner.
- General counsel for a number of family-owned corporations owning and leasing significant real estate in the region and providing practical counsel on everyday matters, including tax appeals, landlord-tenant disputes, construction matters, sales, acquisitions, and creative methods of structuring transactions for the benefit of the clients.
- 2013 Ohio Glass Ceiling Award, National Diversity Council
- Ohio Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine, 2007, 2010
- Toledo Business Journal, "Who's Who in Toledo Area Law", 2009 - 2011
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Toledo Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Toledo, Board Trustee, Executive Committee
Events and Presentations
- J.D., Ohio State University, 1997
- B.A., cum laude, The University of Toledo, 1994