Steven A. Meckler
Charlotte Managing Partner and Management Committee Member
Known for being a strategic, thoughtful, and business-minded attorney, Steve counsels corporations with respect to complex business, product liability, construction and real property litigation. He is licensed in North and South Carolina and has extensive experience in both the state and federal Courts in all stages of litigation. Steve also represents clients in a variety of administrative actions with various state agencies.
Steve’s tenacity, ability to be aggressive, and focus on the effective evaluation of a case are the crux of his success in handling a broad range of litigation matters. These matters include, defending large manufacturers against class action suits, acting as national coordinating counsel managing product liability cases, successfully representing a large manufacturer in a multimillion dollar vendor/supplier dispute, representing major corporations with ongoing state licensing disputes, and acting as regional counsel handling all litigation needs for a large development corporation. Steve never forgets that it is the business goals of his clients that are front and center of all strategic planning and his approach to litigation is to achieve those goals in the most effective and efficient manner possible.
Managing Partner for the Charlotte office, Steve is also a member of the Firm-wide Management Committee. Prior to these roles, Steve served as the Chair of the Firm-wide Finance Committee.
In addition to practicing law, Steve is an active Rotarian and currently serves on the Executive Board of the Make-A-Wish Foundation for Central and Western North Carolina. He also chaired the Mecklenburg County Civil Superior Courts Committee that re-wrote the 26th Judicial District Superior Court Division Civil Rules. Steve is a graduate of the FBI Citizen's Academy.
- Represents an international manufacturer of building products as Regional Counsel defending class action product liability cases.
- Represents an international manufacturer of appliances as Regional Counsel defending onslaught product liability attacks from the Plaintiff’s bar and associated consolidated actions in federal court.
- Acted as National Coordinating Counsel for a manufacturer in defending onslaught product liability cases being brought throughout the United States on product specific lines.
- Represents many national corporations in high end licensing disputes with the states of North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and Ohio.
- Successfully defended a manufacturer in a product liability action where the damages sought exceeded $20 million.
- Successfully represented a developer in obtaining a Judgment for half of a million dollars in a breach of contract suit.
- Successfully represented a manufacturer in a data theft suit, obtaining $4 million in disputed coverage under its insuring policy.
- Successfully resolved a multimillion vendor supplier dispute on favorable terms for a large manufacturer.
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Best Lawyers in America, 2013 - 2019
- North Carolina Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers magazine, 2012 - 2018
- North Carolina Legal Elite by Business North Carolina magazine, 2014
- Top Ranked U.S. Executive, National Council of American Executives, 2014
- Top Rated Commercial Litigation Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell, 2012
- North Carolina Top Rated Lawyer, 2012
- Leaders in the Law, North Carolina Lawyers Weekly, 2011
- Cambridge Who’s Who 2010
- North Carolina Rising Star by Super Lawyers magazine, 2009 and 2010
- North Carolina Law Impact Leader, Business Leader, North Carolina Legal Guide, 2009
- Top Lawyers in North Carolina, Business Leader magazine, 2009
- Charlotte Mover & Shaker, Business Leader magazine, 2009
- Top Lawyers in Charlotte, Business Leader magazine, 2008
- Past Fellow, Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, Litigation Counsel of America
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Member of the Product Liability Advisory Counsel (PLAC)
- Charlotte Rotary, Member, Paul Harris Fellow
- Charlotte Film Commission, Board Member
- Mecklenburg County Court System, 2011, Member, Civil Court Committee
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Central and Western North Carolina, Executive Board
- Providence Country Club, Board of Governors, past
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association Professionalism Committee, past Member
- South Carolina Task Force on Court Appointments, past Member
- Charlotte Chamber Leadership Program, past
- Bar Leadership Institute, past
- Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, Facilities Committee Member
|08.15.2018||Shumaker Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2019|
|02.14.2018||Shumaker Attorneys Named to 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars|
|01.22.2018||Shumaker Announces New Charlotte Office Managing Partner |
|08.22.2017||Steven ("Steve") A. Meckler Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018|
|08.17.2017||Shumaker Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2018|
|01.23.2017||Shumaker Attorneys Named to 2017 North Carolina Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars|
|09.08.2016||Merrill Lynch Financial Advisors Settle Compensation Class Action for $12.8 Million|
|08.16.2016||Shumaker Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers In America® 2017|
|01.28.2016||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Recognized as 2016 North Carolina Super Lawyers® and North Carolina Rising Stars|
|08.19.2015||Shumaker Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers In America® 2016|
|01.26.2015||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Recognized as 2015 North Carolina Super Lawyers® and North Carolina Rising Stars|
|08.21.2014||83 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2015|
|01.21.2014||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Recognized as 2014 North Carolina Super Lawyers® and North Carolina Rising Stars|
|08.15.2013||83 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2014|
|01.23.2013||Shumaker Attorneys Recognized as 2013 North Carolina Super Lawyers|
|08.28.2012||81 Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Lawyers Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013|
|01.26.2012||Five Shumaker Partners Recognized as 2012 North Carolina Super Lawyers|
|11.15.2010||Steven A. Meckler Featured Guest on CNN |
|01.27.2010||Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP Attorneys Named to 2010 North Carolina Rising Stars|
Events and Presentations
|2015||"Superior Civil Court Makeover – A look into the Newly Revised Rules and Practices in Superior Civil Court, 2015," Mecklenburg County Bar|
|2013||"Application of the Administrative Procedures Act," NCLCCA, Winston Salem, North Carolina|
|2013||Played the role of a Congressional attorney on the television series "Homeland"|
|2010||Featured guest on CNN regarding the foreclosure crisis|
|2007||"Litigation Risks and Crisis Management," NCLCCA, Clemmons, North Carolina|
|2007||"Avoiding the Pitfalls of Litigation and Current Trends in Licensing in North Carolina," NCLCCA, Winston-Salem, North Carolina.|
|2006||“Liability: Protective and Proactive Strategies for Your Child Care Business”, Davidson County Partnership for Children|
- J.D., cum laude, Case Western Reserve University, Paul J. Hergenroeder Award Recipient, Jessup Moot Court, 1999
Bar and Court Admissions
- South Carolina, 2000
- North Carolina, 1999
- United States Supreme Court, 2014
- United States District Court South Carolina, 2001
- United States District Court Eastern District of North Carolina, 1999
- United States District Court Western District of North Carolina, 1999
- United States District Court Middle District of North Carolina, 1999